A summary of the past week of posts to my in-character Star Trek Online Tumblr, chronicling the adventures of E.N. Morwen, a science-loving and thoughtful young woman trapped in a galaxy of warring space giants.
- Objects in Motion: Morwen undertakes a critical mission for the Klingon Chancellor: to get proof that the renegade leader isn’t who they appear to be. (Original)
- Remain in Motion: With the truth about K’tin revealed, Morwen attends a joint session of Starfleet Command and the Federation Senate Defense Subcommittee. There, the decision will be made about whether to declare war on the Klingon Empire. (Original)
- Kern System Patrol: The Phoenix investigates a renegade Klingon listening post in Federation space.
- Seedea System Patrol: The Phoenix assists in the evacuation of the Seedea System.
- Veyga System Patrol: The Gorn are attacking civilian ships trying to flee the Veyga System.
- Vor System Patrol: Acting onmistaken intel, a massive fleet is about to attack the tiny civilian research post in the Vor System.
- Temporal Ambassador Redux: Temporal Investigations once again asks Morwen to ask her past self to get some information about the Iconians–but this time, it’s on a mission that never happened!
As the flag officer of a fleet or tactical group, Starfleet regulations also require Morwen to provide a Fleet Status Report briefly summarizing the current status and mission of all ships under her command, every Stardate that’s a multiple of 10.
After the initial “two-parter” of Objects in Motion/Remain in Motion, the “System Patrol” missions in this block continue my experiment’s final act: I continued doing System Patrol missions with no foreknowledge of what would happen in them, weaving them into the ongoing story as I went.
Temporal Ambassador Redux is a bit different. You see, there was an event a few months back where new characters would, for a brief period, be “Delta Recruits” and get access to a special sidequest that is given to you by Temporal Investigations and your own future self, spanning most of the game. (Only characters created during the event can do the sidequest, but once the character is created there was no limit to how long it could take.) Given that I already had plans for involving Temporal Investigations in Morwen’s adventures, I decided to make a second Morwen for the event, and have her do the sidequest. As I do, I am recording the future-self aspect of it all here–present!Morwen (the Morwen who has the Tumblr, in 2410) sends back requests to her past self (the one doing the sidequests, in 2409), and instantly remembers having done them and what resulted from it.
Imagine my delight when one of the things in the sidequest is to get information from the alternate timeline in “Temporal Ambassador.” You might recall that mission, way back when, in which Morwen (still a Commander at the time, and commanding the science vessel Ariel) investigated a temporal anomaly and it turned out to be nothing. That’s actually one of my favorite missions of the game… but at the conclusion of the mission your actions cause it never to have happened, so since Morwen had no memory of it, I couldn’t put any of it in the log. But thanks to this sidequest, I have an excuse to finally include it! So after a personal log entry from present!Morwen, there’s a Captain’s Log from past!Morwen that is completely identical to the first entry for Temporal Ambassador… and then more entries from past!Morwen that are very, very different. I’m quite pleased with how it came out, and hope you enjoy it.